Archaeologists have discovered in Northern Greece, between the towns of Kozani and Florina remains of the prehistoric settlement, which existed here for about 6 thousand years BC. The report of the discovery made today.
As RIA “Novosti”, the excavations in these places have been conducted since 2003, but only now are archaeologists beginning to understand the real dimensions of the work that lies before them. According to experts, there is an entire network of small prehistoric villages, most of which is still hidden under the ground. Here found stone tools, fossilized remains of lentil, which is cultivated by ancient farmers, and more than fifty clay figures.
Earlier this week in the seaside Athens area of Voula were found a vast area of over 1500 square meters – ruins of the ancient market, including antique street, the shops, the sanctuary. These ruins date from about the fifth-fourth centuries BC. The archaeologists believe that there could be a market, confirmed by the found coins, weights for scales, and numerous sherds of ceramic vessels.
And in the Athens district of Menidi excavations at the newly opened ancient theatre. Scientists believe that they have found the ancient city Aharna,which was located here in ancient times. It is possible that in this theatre once played by the famous Comedy playwright Aristophanes antiquity “Ahardane”, in which, however, residents Ahern shown limited enough people who make a living burning coal and serve in political issues, the conservative ignorant positions. Continue reading
In the Archaeological Museum of Istanbul, presents rare works of art belonging to ancient civilizations in different regions from Balkans to Africa, from Anatolia and Mesopotamia to Arab Peninsula and Afghanistan that were part of the Ottoman Empire. In 1881, six years after the transfer of the Imperial Museum of antiquities and weapons from the Church. Irina in the pavilion was Repaired its Director was a prominent Turkish intellectual, artist and archaeologist Osman Hamdi Bey (1842-1910). The new Director has actively worked to transform the Museum . resembling just a warehouse of antique items of various values. Under his leadership, the archaeological excavations on the territory of the Ottoman Empire enriched the collection of the Museum many priceless masterpieces.
In 1891 under the order of Osman Hamdi Bey in Istanbul the famous architect, educated in Paris, Alexander Valluri (1850-1921) built a new building of the Archaeological Museum . called the Museum of sarcophagi (Asar-ı-Atika). In 1903, in connection with the increase in the number of exhibits were added the North wing, and in 1907 and South. In the design of the façade of this neoclassical building is clearly traced the motifs of the style of the most famous exhibits is the sarcophagus of Alexander and the Wailers. In one hundred years (1991) to meet the needs of a modern Museum . to the South-Eastern facade of the old Archaeological Museum prystailove, six-story building, first two floors are used as storage. The greatest interest among the exhibits on display in the old building of the Archaeological Museum are the marble sarcophagi of Royal (IV BC) from the necropolis of Sidon (Sidon, Lebanon). This is the sarcophagus of Sidon Abdalonymos called sarcophagus of Alexander the great, because the decorative friezes on its two long sides depict the scenes of battle and hunting with the participation of the great commander. And the tomb of STRATO, called the sarcophagus of the mourning women, because of the abundance of the weeping inmates of the harem of the voluptuous lords. There is also a collection of sculpture from the archaic period to the Byzantine Empire. The results of archaeological excavations in the valley of the Meander, Aphrodisias, Ephesus, Miletus and Manisa. Continue reading
In Krasnoyarsk region have found traces of Neolithic settlements. Her age — 6 thousand years. Scientists suggest that here was located one of the first metallurgical production. Traces of ancient civilization discovered during the laying of power lines in Kezhemsk district, Krasnoyarsk territory. “Archaeological object was found in the area where was going to start work on laying of transmission lines from Boguchanskaya HPP to the village Tayshet”, — told in the press service of the SFU. Explore the find invited students and teachers of historical-philosophical faculty, and staff of the laboratory of archeology, Ethnography and history of Siberia Institute for the Humanities, SFU. Specialists have found that the age of the settlement, which was called “the Parking lot Itomura” (named after the closest Creek), — about 6 thousand years.
In total, the excavation found about 9 thousand of artifacts of different eras: the early iron age, the bronze age and the last stage of the stone age. Among the artifacts included iron arrowheads, knives, namesnik harness deer, stone hammers, teachnique, anvils and fragments of pottery. In addition, the excavations also produced samples of charcoal and soil from the cultural layers, hearths, vessels and ancient economic holes. Scientists believe that in ancient times there were engaged in metallurgy.
The layer of earth in which hranitelnitsa the number of artifacts that dates back to the early Neolithic period in Siberia it started about 6.5 million years ago. As noted, laboratory of archaeology, Ethnography and history of Siberia GI SFU Pauline Senotrusova, up to the present time in this part of the Boguchansky district did not find such ancient settlements. Continue reading