MEXICO city. Mexican and American archaeologists have unearthed in the state of Chiapas ancient Mesoamerican burial in the pyramid.
Exploring the settlement of Olmec culture’s most popular locales de corzo, the scientists stumbled upon the burial chamber area of 4×3 square meters, located at a depth of 7 meters under the ground. In ancient times, at this level there was a pyramid with a height of 6-7 m. the discovery from the National Institute of anthropology and history Mexico (INAH) believe that the pyramid was built especially for the repose of the deceased, who apparently belonged to the local elite.
“It was decorated with beads, composed of small and large balls of jade, inlaid with small pearls loincloth, crafts made of jade in various shapes, including jade lizards and vines in a style typical of the Olmec culture, the bracelets on her ankles, knees and hands, mask with eyes of green obsidian and pyrite from the mirror,” – said in a press release from INAH. Teeth men were inlaid with jade and mother of pearl. The skeleton was surrounded by 15 vases: black and white, black and gray, with a tragic story. After conducting numerous tests, scientists have found that the man died at the age of about 50 years at the beginning of the VIII century BC, When the burial was held the sacrifice: zabolottsy child (his skeleton with neatly folded hands, was found near a male) and buried alive a young girl approximately 20 years.
At some distance from the first burial chamber was found a second, smaller area of 2×3 meters In it lay the remains of a woman of the same age with a man buried in the first chamber. If the men’s remains were oriented East, female – West. In the second chamber were rich funerary gifts: the scattering of pearls, amber and jade decorations in the shape of birds and monkeys. Continue reading
In the Archaeological Museum of Istanbul, presents rare works of art belonging to ancient civilizations in different regions from Balkans to Africa, from Anatolia and Mesopotamia to Arab Peninsula and Afghanistan that were part of the Ottoman Empire. In 1881, six years after the transfer of the Imperial Museum of antiquities and weapons from the Church. Irina in the pavilion was Repaired its Director was a prominent Turkish intellectual, artist and archaeologist Osman Hamdi Bey (1842-1910). The new Director has actively worked to transform the Museum . resembling just a warehouse of antique items of various values. Under his leadership, the archaeological excavations on the territory of the Ottoman Empire enriched the collection of the Museum many priceless masterpieces.
In 1891 under the order of Osman Hamdi Bey in Istanbul the famous architect, educated in Paris, Alexander Valluri (1850-1921) built a new building of the Archaeological Museum . called the Museum of sarcophagi (Asar-ı-Atika). In 1903, in connection with the increase in the number of exhibits were added the North wing, and in 1907 and South. In the design of the façade of this neoclassical building is clearly traced the motifs of the style of the most famous exhibits is the sarcophagus of Alexander and the Wailers. In one hundred years (1991) to meet the needs of a modern Museum . to the South-Eastern facade of the old Archaeological Museum prystailove, six-story building, first two floors are used as storage. The greatest interest among the exhibits on display in the old building of the Archaeological Museum are the marble sarcophagi of Royal (IV BC) from the necropolis of Sidon (Sidon, Lebanon). This is the sarcophagus of Sidon Abdalonymos called sarcophagus of Alexander the great, because the decorative friezes on its two long sides depict the scenes of battle and hunting with the participation of the great commander. And the tomb of STRATO, called the sarcophagus of the mourning women, because of the abundance of the weeping inmates of the harem of the voluptuous lords. There is also a collection of sculpture from the archaic period to the Byzantine Empire. The results of archaeological excavations in the valley of the Meander, Aphrodisias, Ephesus, Miletus and Manisa. Continue reading
On the territory of the demolished hotel “Russia” found another old street, presumably of the XII century, according to the Institute of archaeology RAS.
During excavations in Zaryadye. where a unique landscape Park, scientists have discovered the oldest street of Moscow Posad – outside Great. It originated at a very early stage of development of the city – perhaps as early as the XII century.
According to Leonid Belyaev, head of the excavations, street led from the Kremlin to the Marina and is one of the oldest construction phase of the city in XII-XIII centuries.
During excavations, archaeologists found many ceramic items of the XV-XVII centuries and architectural details, carved stone 1490-1500, the fragment of a pilaster from the temple or Palace with rare ornamentation in the form of closely woven in a continuous carpet trehpryadnye bands.
We will remind, this summer, archaeologists found a wooden bridge of the seventeenth century, which according to historical plans lay on the Curve lane. This famous shopping street found in the Eastern part of the future Zaryadye Park.
Here were found the copper coins, crockery, small items of sculpture and even Shoe tips that could be lost by the inhabitants of ancient Zaryadye. Continue reading