In the Archaeological Museum of Istanbul, presents rare works of art belonging to ancient civilizations in different regions from Balkans to Africa, from Anatolia and Mesopotamia to Arab Peninsula and Afghanistan that were part of the Ottoman Empire. In 1881, six years after the transfer of the Imperial Museum of antiquities and weapons from the Church. Irina in the pavilion was Repaired its Director was a prominent Turkish intellectual, artist and archaeologist Osman Hamdi Bey (1842-1910). The new Director has actively worked to transform the Museum . resembling just a warehouse of antique items of various values. Under his leadership, the archaeological excavations on the territory of the Ottoman Empire enriched the collection of the Museum many priceless masterpieces.
In 1891 under the order of Osman Hamdi Bey in Istanbul the famous architect, educated in Paris, Alexander Valluri (1850-1921) built a new building of the Archaeological Museum . called the Museum of sarcophagi (Asar-ı-Atika). In 1903, in connection with the increase in the number of exhibits were added the North wing, and in 1907 and South. In the design of the façade of this neoclassical building is clearly traced the motifs of the style of the most famous exhibits is the sarcophagus of Alexander and the Wailers. In one hundred years (1991) to meet the needs of a modern Museum . to the South-Eastern facade of the old Archaeological Museum prystailove, six-story building, first two floors are used as storage. The greatest interest among the exhibits on display in the old building of the Archaeological Museum are the marble sarcophagi of Royal (IV BC) from the necropolis of Sidon (Sidon, Lebanon). This is the sarcophagus of Sidon Abdalonymos called sarcophagus of Alexander the great, because the decorative friezes on its two long sides depict the scenes of battle and hunting with the participation of the great commander. And the tomb of STRATO, called the sarcophagus of the mourning women, because of the abundance of the weeping inmates of the harem of the voluptuous lords. There is also a collection of sculpture from the archaic period to the Byzantine Empire. The results of archaeological excavations in the valley of the Meander, Aphrodisias, Ephesus, Miletus and Manisa. Continue reading
July 17 TRANS-Baikal territory Governor Konstantin Ilkovsky visited archaeological site in the village of Konduy Borzinsky district. At the archaeological camp, there are about 50 people – scientists, students, schoolchildren, people of different professions, lovers of archeology. The head of the region noted that the region is richly historical and unique archaeological monuments.
“Kandulski Palace is part of the global nomadic culture. Surprised that 800 years ago, people without special tools, using modern technology, was able to mathematically calculate, to design, to process and deliver building material. Unfortunately, we treat such objects are not so carefully as we would like. First, it is not under global archaeological research, and secondly, about these unique monuments knows only a narrow circle of specialists and a wider audience is unaware of them. I am glad that today there is a chief of RAS, Professor, far Eastern Federal University Nikolai Kradin, TRANS-Baikal state University professors, students, pupils. Because they are monuments of Federal importance, the work on the study and conservation must be conducted by the Academy of Sciences of the Russian Federation jointly with the Ministry of education and science of the Russian Federation, Continue reading
But if some of them are just curious, others rather frightening. Archaeologists – people are not shy, but sometimes from the bowels of the Earth they extract is that shocks even them. This article focuses on four such discoveries.
Pits with severed hands
During the excavation of the once magnificent Palace in the Egyptian city of Avaris, whose age is 3.5 thousand years, archaeologists found 4 pits with severed hands. Two of them were located in front of the building and two directly in his throne room. The head of the excavations, Manfred Bitak noted that all the limbs were right. Most of the remains were small, from which the expert concluded that these were the hands of adult men.
Historians believe that the found hand prove the existence of some ancient Egyptian traditions. The gist of it was this: the soldiers cut off the right hands of enemy soldiers and gave them to his commander, who then solemnly dropped “trophies” into the pit, and the men received a reward.
For Inca ritual “capacocha” was selected the most beautiful children. They were forced to climb into the Andes, on the mountaintops to die, freezing to please the gods. This ritual is performed as for any reason, and without it – that is,”just in case”. People believed that if a child was sacrificed this way, he will become immortal and equal to gods.
It is believed that the lion’s share of these sacrifices was opened in 1999 next to the volcano Llullaillaco, situated on the border between Argentina and Chile. A group of archaeologists led by Johan Reinhard has rolled back the stone that closed the entrance to the crypt, and found a terrible picture: among a large number of well-preserved ceremonial attributes were the mummified bodies of three frozen children. Continue reading