In the Archaeological Museum of Istanbul, presents rare works of art belonging to ancient civilizations in different regions from Balkans to Africa, from Anatolia and Mesopotamia to Arab Peninsula and Afghanistan that were part of the Ottoman Empire. In 1881, six years after the transfer of the Imperial Museum of antiquities and weapons from the Church. Irina in the pavilion was Repaired its Director was a prominent Turkish intellectual, artist and archaeologist Osman Hamdi Bey (1842-1910). The new Director has actively worked to transform the Museum . resembling just a warehouse of antique items of various values. Under his leadership, the archaeological excavations on the territory of the Ottoman Empire enriched the collection of the Museum many priceless masterpieces.
In 1891 under the order of Osman Hamdi Bey in Istanbul the famous architect, educated in Paris, Alexander Valluri (1850-1921) built a new building of the Archaeological Museum . called the Museum of sarcophagi (Asar-ı-Atika). In 1903, in connection with the increase in the number of exhibits were added the North wing, and in 1907 and South. In the design of the façade of this neoclassical building is clearly traced the motifs of the style of the most famous exhibits is the sarcophagus of Alexander and the Wailers. In one hundred years (1991) to meet the needs of a modern Museum . to the South-Eastern facade of the old Archaeological Museum prystailove, six-story building, first two floors are used as storage. The greatest interest among the exhibits on display in the old building of the Archaeological Museum are the marble sarcophagi of Royal (IV BC) from the necropolis of Sidon (Sidon, Lebanon). This is the sarcophagus of Sidon Abdalonymos called sarcophagus of Alexander the great, because the decorative friezes on its two long sides depict the scenes of battle and hunting with the participation of the great commander. And the tomb of STRATO, called the sarcophagus of the mourning women, because of the abundance of the weeping inmates of the harem of the voluptuous lords. There is also a collection of sculpture from the archaic period to the Byzantine Empire. The results of archaeological excavations in the valley of the Meander, Aphrodisias, Ephesus, Miletus and Manisa. Continue reading
The name of the ancient Greek city of tyritake mentioned in the essay Greek writer of the fifth century CE the Pseudo-Arrian, the author of geographical works “Detour Euxine Pontus”. About Tyritake mentions the ancient Greek scientist and geographer Claudius Ptolemy (90 – CA. 168 ad) who laid the foundations of the study, he listed about 8,000 cities and localities with a precise indication of their geographical coordinates. His treatise made 26 special maps. Stephen the Byzantine (527-565 G. G.), a philosopher of the Alexandrian school consisted of ethno-geographical dictionary “Ethnica” (“Description of peoples”), on the basis of earlier works of numerous Greek and Latin authors, the works which were later lost. The ancient city of tyritake, archaeologists found 11 km South of Kerch, has the shape of an irregular quadrilateral, acute angle facing South. The area of the ancient city is about 8.5 ha. During the excavations of the ancient settlement, archaeologists found the southern part of the settlement two rows of defensive walls, a width of 1.70 — 1.80 meters high, built in the V century BC
In the Western part of the city of tyritake discovered two sites of earlier city wall, a width of about 2 meters. In the masonry of the West wall was found two stone sculptures of the second Millennium BC they are now in Kerchenskaja. In IV — III centuries BC the defensive wall of the city of tyritake were rebuilt. In the southern part of the citadel were found the defensive tower I stacked dry, without mortar, of large squared limestone. At the southern fortress wall is open cobbled street of the Hellenistic period along which was a drain and a standing stone houses. In Roman times paved streets were covered with gravel. In the Central part of the southern area of the city excavated the street width 4,80-5,30 meters, paved with gravel and clay shards. Continue reading
In the province of Antalya not far from Kemer is the ancient coastal city of Phaselis, which is an important historic attraction of Turkey. If we are to believe the ancient Chronicles, the history of this Turkish city begins in the seventh century BC. That’s when it was founded by colonists from Rhodes in the head with Lamaison.
Holidays in Turkey is one of the best, at least so considers the majority of Russians. Because the holidays in Alanya is quite inexpensive and affordable even to people of average income. A traditional all-inclusive hotels in Alanya makes the distant Turkish coast so attractive.
Phaselis is located on the Mediterranean coast, it has three harbours. Until the present time in this ancient city preserved unique buildings Dating back to the period of the Byzantine and Roman empires.
Here you can see the ruins of the theatre, the Acropolis, the Agora, cemetery and Basilica. Also preserved and durable walls, which were built in the third century BC. In our days archeologists continue excavations on the territory of Phaselis, all the items found are transferred to the Antalya Museum.
Experts believe that the city’s name comes from the word “pasala” that Luwian language means “sea town”. With residents of the city of Phaselis were actionoutline Phoenician merchants, there are also traces of Byzantine influence. Continue reading